How to Make a Dog Throw Up

Pets can sometimes eat foods or household items that are dangerous or possibly fatal for them. In some instances, inducing vomiting can quickly purge the threatening substance from the pet’s stomach.


Here we will go over the common signs of poisoning for dogs, harmful substances, and methods to make your dog throw up. A little similar to making yourself throw up, keep in mind it is always beat to speak with veterinarian before attempting to force your dog to vomit.

Signs of Poisoning

After your pet has eaten something poisonous, you should notice certain symptoms. These signs can help you determine if you need to induce vomiting. Some of the symptoms to look for are excessive drooling, dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, acting weak, or seizures. Symptoms vary from animal to animal, so it is important to know what your pets could have possibly eaten.

Harmful Substances for Pets

Chocolate
Chocolate contains theobromine, which can cause vomiting, seizures, and in larger doses can be fatal. Chocolate is a common food found in homes, and it is regularly consumed by dogs accidentally.

Plants
There are many plants that can be poisonous to pets. Too many to list. The stems, leaves and seeds of apples, apricots, cherries, peaches and plums contain a cyanide compound that can cause hyperventilation and shock.

Antifreeze
Sometimes pets will ingest antifreeze. This can leak from your car or a spill can occur in your garage/driveway. Antifreeze will cause kidney failure in pets.

Household Chemicals
We use a lot of caustic chemicals in our homes everyday. Typically these are used for cleaning, and will be found around kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, and garages. Make sure to read labels and place toxic substances out of reach.

Batteries
If your dog eats batterifies it can cause health problems. The most common batteries are alkaline, and if ingested they can cause ulcers in the stomach. Do not induce vomiting for batteries, get your dog to a vet immediately.

Rat Poison(or other pests)
Sometimes we have poison out that is intended for rats or other pests. Dogs and cats can sometimes find this and eat it. Blood thinners are a common poison, and will cause your animal to bleed internally if you do not treat them immediately.

Steps to Take

  1. Know your pet’s general health, the substance they eat, and amount ingested
  2. Contact your veterinarian to find out if inducing vomiting will help the situation
  3. If vomiting is recommended, one option is to give the animal three percent hydrogen peroxide. For every 10 pounds give the pet 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide orally. The pet should vomit within 15 to 20 minutes of consuming the hydrogen peroxide. If no vomiting occurs, you can safely give your pet another dose.
  4. Another option is syrup of ipecac, also given in one teaspoon per ten pounds body weight.
  5. Make sure to remove the toxic substance to make sure your pets do not eat it again

Posted in Health